Welcome.

Undertaking a name I have always wanted to undertake, doing something I have always wanted to do.

The Starbearer

Saturday, March 5, 2011

The Gambler


Sweat dripping from my forehead, I didn't care, I was scared to death, I didn't care, all I wanted to do was walk out tonight with a victory and spit in his face,
I wanted to beat The Gambler, beat him at his own game, and tonight, as I sat down I knew I was I would beat The Devil, in his game, at his pace.

He was the best at this game they called Teen Patti (3 Cards), and tonight I knew I was lucky, I felt lucky, all I wanted was a win,
Winning is everything, everytime, and for some of us, winning is what Life is all about and I never cared how I did it, hard work, betrayal, or even pure sin.

I didn't even look at him as he entered, I wanted his money, that's all, but as he came I couldn't help, I had heard so much, heard much about him and his legend,
I saw it in his eyes as he walked through the room, he had a snake's eyes, tonight, I said to myself, tonight his reign would end.

He came and sat down, I looked at him with pure vengeance, all his money was mine, he looked at me and smiled, I gave him a cold stare,
He continued smiling, he thought he owned me with his wins, this game would change his life, after this he would be out with hands bare.

They dealt the cards, I was going to play even without looking at my cards, this was my speciality - I would play blind,
He glanced at me - he looked afraid, that was what I wanted, I wanted to make him die in fear inside, I wanted to ruin his mind.

I put all my money in, I couldn't wait to get a whiff of sheer pleasure, I couldn't wait for that smell of success, I had put everything I had on the line,
He counted his money - dejected while doing it and he coughed slightly, he put all his money in and silently ordered some wine.

I looked at my cards and flung them confidently on the table - three Kings, but as I looked at him, I knew he cheated and I knew it was a bluff, in horror I realised his sadness was his Poker face,
Sweat dripping from my forehead, I saw him - I looked him in the eyes, he gently smiled and put his cards on the table, all of them ace.

(A poem written to express my love to the wonderful game of Teen Patti, played in the Indian Underground)

No comments:

Post a Comment