Welcome.

Undertaking a name I have always wanted to undertake, doing something I have always wanted to do.

The Starbearer

Saturday, March 5, 2011

I walk free - Bhagat Singh


I woke up this morning and saw the Sun rise, saw it until it hit the Earth with it's ferocious rays, saw it until my eyes burnt, saw it until it looked back and smiled at me,
I smelt the crisp morning air from the small window, this was my last morning and my last day, this was the last time I would walk free.

I remembered all those people who told me my life is a disgrace, who told me I was dying too young and who told me to give up this struggle , lose this fight,
How could I see someone rule me in my heart and on my land, how could I see a child being beaten up with his mother watching, how could I sleep every night.

They came for our spices, to taste our food and beg for our riches, they crawled into our country like little rats to eat the leftovers, they now took over my land,
I couldn't bear to see this happen and so I shouted out, I decided I would fight - even if it meant alone, even if it meant rotting in the sand.

This freedom we crave for, these cries we cry and the torture we bear, the pain we take in, I believe in living them, I believe that there will come a bright new day,
Within every bruise on my body there is liberty, within every death there is revolution, I am now certain that the future is certain and clear is the way.

Our women being treated like slaves, our men like dogs, our houses destroyed and our farms burnt, my soul burns up with sheer fury,my blood boils at the very thought,
I have seen enough white men smile in glee, I have heard enough of the Queen's Anthem, we will be free even if it means war, enough appeals I have heard and enough non-violence I have sought.

I know that my time has come now, but there will be others, this Inquilab won't end here - it will only get bigger, this train of thought has begun and soon it will get loud,
Every brave mother will send her son to war, every child will play on a free land, every farmer will cut his own crop and today, Comrades, this feeling is just making me proud.

The Sun is about to set and the evening air is still as crisp, I can smell the tasty food at home, "Bhagat" I can hear mother calling out - from afar her smiling face I can see,
I walk down as I see everything now - this was what my life was about, this was my destiny and even as I walk to my death, I walk on my land, I walk free.

3:D

No comments:

Post a Comment